We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Dog saliva can contain dangerous bacteria
As is well known, the dog is usually regarded as the best friend of man. Now, however, a man in the USA had to have both legs amputated because he had been infected with a dangerous bacterium by licking a dog. Even more operations are needed to amputate the victim's hands.
Greg Manteufel was infected with the bacterium Capnocytophaga canimorsus after being licked by a dog. The bacterium is found in the saliva of dogs and cats. After a blood infection developed, the patient's legs had to be amputated.
The person concerned initially thought that he had the flu
The infection hit the father so badly that he suffered a septic shock. At first Manteufel thought that he had the flu. However, after one hour the symptoms became so severe that the patient had to be hospitalized.
Amputation of parts of the hands will follow
In the hospital, doctors first had to amputate both feet to prevent the infection from spreading. But unfortunately it turned out that the problem was much worse. The result was that the surgeons finally had to amputate Manteufel's two legs below the knee. Additional operations are also planned to remove parts of both hands. Plastic surgery is also needed to rebuild the man's nose, reports Fox 6 Now.
Such a strong reaction to the infection is very rare
The infection appears to have been caused by dog licking. Manteufel then developed a very strong response to the infection. Such an impact is rare. More than 99 percent of people who have dogs will never have such problems, experts say.
Infection is usually caused by dog bites
There is a study in the English-language journal "European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases", which had the result that such an infection is usually the result of dog bites. In a review of more than 450 patient cases, only 27 percent of the participants contracted the bacteria through scratching, licking or unspecified contact with dogs or cats. 26 percent of the total number of patients in the study died as a result of the infection.
Beware of a weak immune system when handling dogs
Such a reaction is very rare and should not prevent dog owners from being in close contact with their pets. However, people with a weak immune system should be careful as they may be prone to infection. If you feel sick or uncomfortable, you should keep your pets safe. (as)